Translate

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Overnight Steel Cut Oats (DF, GF)




Steel cut oats just take TOOO long to cook in the morning.  I have seen several recipes for overnight oats, so decided to give it a try.  I combined a few recipes to make a version with "things I like in my oatmeal" !!  This would probably work just as well with regular oats... I need to try that !!!

This does not come out mushy in the morning - it is a nice chewy texture.  I actually warmed mine up in the microwave (I like warm oatmeal) and topped it with a cut-up banana.  I also added some more milk to mine in the morning.

I actually preferred the 2nd jar which had been in the fridge for 2 nights.  The oats that had been in the fridge for 2 nights were a little softer (not mushy, but softer).  





Ingredients:
1 cup Steel Cut Oats  (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins
2 Tbsp brown sugar or date syrup    (DF - use date syrup)

Directions:
I put 1/2 the ingredients in 1 jar and 1/2 of the ingredients in another jar.  I found that was easier than mixing everything together in 1 bowl and then trying to divide it between 2 jars.   I put it in 2 jars with a lid, to make sure the lid was tight fitting and shake until well combined. Then refrigerate overnight.   I use an "old" 16-oz glass peanut butter jar.

Warm up in the microwave for about 90 seconds or eat cold.

Estimated Nutritional Value per serving based on 2 servings:  Calories 320, Total Fat 4.6g, Cholesterol 0mg,  Sodium 99mg, Carbs 67.2g, Fiber 6.6g, Sugars 30.6g, Protein 7g


To you, O Lord, I offer my prayer
Psalm 25:1 (GNT)

No comments :

Post a Comment

THANKS for visiting Pink-Vegan Blog and leaving a comment !!!! Your comments are appreciated !!!!