Translate

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Spicy Bulgur Kidney Bean Chili (DF)




This is on the spicy side, so reduce the chili powder or eliminate the chipotle powder if you want a milder chili.

The bulgur creates a "ground beef" texture to the chili.

My dad and sister-in-law LOVED this, they thought the bulgur added a nice texture and did not think it was TOOO spicy; although, they would not want it any spicier !!!

The comment below summed-up this chili very nicely:
"The dish is visibly appealing with its chocolaty tomato sauce, bright red kidney beans, and sunny yellow corn kernels. The corn gives a lovely crunch to every bite. And the bulgur provides both the look and mouth-feel of ground meat. This dish was 'just right' for me in terms of spiciness, but I like it hot! As the author said, leave out the chipotle (which is what provides the kick) and cut back on the chili powder and you will still have tasty but no heat. I found I had to add a half teaspoon of salt to lift the flavor just a touch."




Ingredients:
1/3 cup dry bulgur
1 onion, chopped
2 tsp minced jar garlic
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cans kidney beans, with liquid
1 can corn, with liquid
1 cup water or veggie broth
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp chipotle powder
1/4 tsp black pepper

1/2 to 1 tsp salt
1/4 cup Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
--------
1 can diced tomatoes, with liquid


Directions:

Place all ingredients (EXCEPT tomatoes) in a crockpot and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or high for 4 to 6 hours.
Add the can of tomatoes when there is about 1 hour left of cooking time.

Estimated Nutritional Value per serving based on 10 servings:  Calories 154,  Total Fat 1.5g, Cholesterol 0mg,  Sodium 455mg, Carbs 31.8g, Fiber 8.9g, Sugars 5.7g, Protein 7.6g

How great are your actions, Lord! How deep are your thoughts!

Psalm 92:5 (GNT)


4 comments :

  1. I made the terrible mistake of leaving out the Hersheys Cocoa Powder. I ended adding peanut butter, it was good but it needed an extra little something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH NO!!!! I'm SOOOO sorry to hear that...I hope if you make it again you will think it is much better with the Cocoa Powder. THANKS SOOO much for leaving a comment... I REALLY REALY appreciate it....Denise

      Delete
  2. I loved this recipe before I even tasted it. First, every ingredient is a staple in my pantry. Second, crockpot -- 'nuf said.

    The dish is visibly appealing with its chocolaty tomato sauce, bright red kidney beans, and sunny yellow corn kernels. The corn gives a lovely crunch to every bite. And the bulgur provides both the look and mouth-feel of ground meat. This dish was 'just right' for me in terms of spiciness, but I like it hot! As the author said, leave out the chipotle
    (which is what provides the kick) and cut back on the chili powder
    and you will still have tasty but no heat. I found I had to add a half teaspoon of salt to lift the flavor just a touch.

    Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU !!! I'm SOOOOO glad you liked it !!!! THANKS for taking your time to leave a comment - I REALLY REALLY appreciate it !!!! - Denise

      Delete

THANKS for visiting Pink-Vegan Blog and leaving a comment !!!! Your comments are appreciated !!!!