Translate

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Chocolate Quinoa Peanut Bars (DF, GF)




I have seen several bars made with cooked quinoa, so I decided to try some.  I wasn't sure whether to put these on the blog or not.  At first I wasn't sure if I liked them, but as they "aged"  they started tasting better.  By the last couple of days, I actually really liked the bars !!  I don't know if it is an acquired taste with the cooked quinoa or if they just get better every day.  These are better right out of the fridge...they get REALLY soft after they have been out of the fridge for awhile.   I do still like the flavor - I just eat mine with a spoon !!! These have a crunch from the peanuts and pumpkin seeds, but they are definitely not a hard type of bar. 


Ingredients:
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup raw peanuts
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (optional)
1/2 cup cooked Quinoa
2 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
1/2 cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut  (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 large mashed banana (or 2 small)
--------
2 cups dates
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or water

Directions:
Blend dates and almond milk in blender until smooth.  I keep some date chunks left - it gives the bars a chewier texture.

Then combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
Press into an 8x8 pan and store in fridge.

My favorite food processor is the KitchenAid  7-Cup Food Processor
For blenders, I use both the  Vitamix Blender and Ninja Master Prep Professional Blender

Estimated Nutritional Value per bar based on 16 bars:  Calories 198, Total Fat 10.8g, Cholesterol 0mg,  Sodium 43mg, Carbs 23.7g, Fiber 4.2g, Sugars 16.1g, Protein 5.7g

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,  for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Matthew 11:29 (NIV)

2 comments :

  1. Isn't it funny how some things taste better after a little while!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy.
      It is funny how some things taste better every day (and then some things taste worse !!!!!). I was actually amazed how much better these tasted as every day went by. They weren't like some of the bars where I eat them in a couple days (because they are SOOO good right from the start !!!!!). THANKS for taking your time to leave a comment Sandy, I REALLY REALLY appreciate it !!!!!
      - Denise

      Delete

THANKS for visiting Pink-Vegan Blog and leaving a comment !!!! Your comments are appreciated !!!!