Translate

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Daniel Fast Chocolate Steel Cut Oat Muffins



The steel cut oats give the muffins a chewy texture.  As with all Daniel Fast muffins, since you can not use baking powder or baking soda,  they do not rise like "regular" muffins - resulting in a denser muffin.  These muffins are better the day after they are made.  Actually, I think ALL muffins taste better the day after they are made !!   I LOVE these warmed in the microwave and then spreading peanut butter on top of them !!!     


Ingredients:
1 cup Steel Cut Oats  (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup whole wheat flour or Spelt Flour (I use Bobs Red Mill)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 Tbsp Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
2 tsp corn starch
--------
1/4 cup  date syrup 
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 medium to large very ripe bananas, mashed (if your bananas are smaller, you will probably need to increase the liquid by 2-4 Tbsp)

Directions:

Mix the date syrup, applesauce and mashed bananas in one bowl. 

Mix the dry ingredients in another bowl.    


Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened.  


Pour into muffin pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  


I like using the silicone bakeware for my muffins.  The muffins  come out so easily and I don't need to grease the pan.  My favorites are:   Casabella Silicone Standard Muffin PanCasabella Silicone Large Muffin Pan, Casabella Jumbo Muffin Cups.


The OXO Large Scoop  is GREAT for scooping out batter into the muffin pan.  It is MUCH neater than when I used a spoon to scoop the batter into the pan - I no longer get batter all over the muffin pan !!!



Estimated Nutritional Value per muffin based on 12 muffins:  Calories 114, Total Fat .8g, Cholesterol 0mg,  Sodium 2mg, Carbs 26g, Fiber 2.1g, Sugars 8.9g, Protein 3.1g

Protect me and save me; keep me from defeat.  I come to you for safety.

Psalm 25:20 (GNT)

No comments :

Post a Comment

THANKS for visiting Pink-Vegan Blog and leaving a comment !!!! Your comments are appreciated !!!!